To enable both Windows Media Services 2008 to stream content over HTTP and still allowing IIS 7 to operate on the same server, follow the below instructions:
1) Ensure both IIS and Windows Media Services 2008 (WMS) are installed
2) Ensure you have more than one IP address on your server.
3) Decide which IP addresses will be used for IIS and which will be used for WMS
4) Start the command prompt
5) Type the below commands into the command prompt:
- net stop wmserver
- net stop iisadmin (If prompted to stop other services and their dependancies, select yes)
- net stop http (If prompted to stop other services and their dependancies, select yes)
- netsh (the command prompt will change to netsh>)
- http (the command prompt will change to netsh http>)
- show iplisten (no results will be shown unless this process has been completed before)
6) For this step, you need to know the IP addresses you want to use for IIS. Now we add them to the list by typing ‘add iplisten 192.168.0.1’ without the quotes and replacing 192.168.0.1 with your IP address.
7) Repeat step 6 for each IP address you want to be used for IIS, don’t forget to add 127.0.0.1 so localhost will work too.
8) When you’ve finished adding all your IIS IP addresses, type ‘exit’ without the quotes into the command prompt.
9) Now lets restart those services by typing the below into the command prompt:
- net start wmserver
- net start iisadmin
- net start http
10) If other services were associated with these and stopped earlier, you also need to restart those or just reboot the server to have it all done automatically, but that can be done after you’ve finished this process.
11) To make sure the new settings are in play, type ‘iisreset’ into the command prompt without the quotes.
12) Open the WMS snapin from Administive Tool.
13) Click on the server name in the left panel, then select the properties tab.
14) Select ‘Control protocol’ from the list.
15) Right click on ‘WMS HTTP Server Control Protocol’ and select ‘Properties’
16) Select ‘Allow selected IP Addresses to use this Protocol’ and tick the box next to the IP address you wish to use for WMS and click ‘OK’
17) Right click on ‘WMS HTTP Server Control Protocol’ and select ‘Enable’
That’s it, both IIS and WMS will now be able to use HTTP on the same server without any problems.